Monday, September 08, 2008

What? Another browser?

chrome

I now have four Internet browsers on my desktop computer, having installed Google's new product called Chrome. Chrome was released earlier this month and I learned about it from a podcast while driving to my eye doc appointment this morning.

It looks pretty straightfoward and simple and renders my blog OK. I'll write more after I've had time to explore it.

Speaking of Exploring things, I can report that Internet Explorer 8 is buggy as hell. It locks up tight whenever I try to access my favorites (bookmarks). Fortunately, I transferred all of my IE bookmarks to Delicious.com a week or so before I "upgraded" to IE8. The bad thing about IE upgrades is that they install on top of the previous version and, if you hate the new version you're screwed because you can't go back.

My son Steve swears by Apple's browser Safari - says it loads sites much faster than IE. I've not noticed any significant speed difference with Safari. Leo Laporte says Chrome is build on the same architecture as Safari, so maybe you should check it out, Steve.

I also have Mozilla Firefox 3 and use it occasionally, but I'm not crazy about it.

Opera is the only major browser I haven't tried and I understand Chrome has already eclipsed Opera in downloads.

I guess it's good to have choices.

No comments: