Tuesday, September 16, 2008

OK, it's a computer course

As I suspected, the digital photography class I'm teaching at the Senior Life Center is turning out to be as much about computers as it is about photography.

Two of the older women in the class were chatting before we got things started last night one one asked the other, "Do you have Vista?"

"No, I have an HP," came the reply.

The HP lady also couldn't figure out how to get her camera's software CD into her computer. She tried poking it through the crack above the CD tray but stopped when she realized it didn't fit and she didn't want to break anything.

She was amazed when I showed her how that little button on the left side of my laptop made the CD drawer pop out.

She's the same one who was having trouble taking pictures last week because she was pushing the "off" button instead of the shutter button.

I fear my dissertation on shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and depth of field was lost on her. And maybe on one or two others.

I illustrated the way small apertures increase depth of field by passing around a piece of cardboard with a pinhole in it and having them remove their glasses and peer through the pinhole. Voila! Everything became amazingly clear.

BMW rider friend Deb is in the class and amazed me by showing up on the dot at 6:30 p.m., having ridden home from Indianapolis yesterday and arriving at her house about 5 p.m. That's commitment.

No comments: