Monday, September 29, 2008

Selling out and backing up

Considering that I haven't set up my 100-disc Pioneer CD player since we moved here a year ago and considering that I hardly used it in the three years since I got an iPod and loaded all of my music onto it, and considering that my enormous CD collection was still in boxes in the garage, and considering that we'ITunes_Iconre bleeding to death financially from two mortgages and rising prices, I decided it was time to sell some CDs.

So I dug out a few boxes of CDs and started listing them on Amazon.com and suddenly I was flooded with orders. I have a big U.S. Postal Service basket loaded with about 30 orders to ship this morning and have about 200 titles listed with lots more to add.

Nothing goes out of here that hasn't been ripped to mp3 or m4p, so I'm not really losing anything and I'm gaining some cash and garage space.

But what if my computer crashes and I lose all of that music in my iTunes folder?

The answer came yesterday when I scanned the Office Depot insert in the Sunday paper and noticed they were blowing out Seagate Free Agent 500 GB external hard drives for $89.99. And the Free Agent comes with backup software.

As I write this, my new Free Agent is backing up the iTunes folder from my C: drive and will continue to do so every day at 1 a.m.

Now I'm off to the postoffice.

No comments: