Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Still learning

When I agreed to teach a digital photography course at the Senior Life Center, I did so with the expectation that I would learn a thing or two as well.d200  dvd

I was right.

One of the guys in the class lent me a copy of the Magic Lantern DVD instructional series on the D200 and I'm about a third of the way through it.

I knew most of the stuff, but there are some tricks buried deep in the nearly 100 function menus that are new to me.

Like, for instance, I never realized the camera has a setting to shoot in black-and-white. So what, you might ask. Why not shoot everything in color and use Photoshop to make black-and-whites? True, but this makes it possible to use long-neglected B&W filters - like red to make white clouds pop in a dark blue sky - and get black-and-white images that might not be possible, or at least not easy, with Photoshop.

Sorta reminds me of when I was a motorcycle instructor for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. I learned something new every time I taught a course.

No comments: