Monday, September 08, 2008

What am I doing with all of these old people?

arrow dhs40h

This is the 40th anniversary reunion of the Delphi (Ind.) High School Class of 1963 back in 2003.

That's me (arrow) in the middle of the back row. Do I know where to stand, or what?

My classmates tried to railroad me into coordinating the 45th anniversary reunion and I dimly recall someone being named my co-coordinator. I checked in with Tina Tyner (brown plaid, second from right in the front row) late last summer when it became clear that we were moving to Arkansas and told her I wasn't going to be able to discharge my duties because I would be living 450 miles away. I told her I might not even make it back for the reunion, much less be available for its planning and execution.

I supposed that the reunion had gone on without me, but I got a voicemail just before Labor Day weekend from the woman who I gather has inherited the job asking if I would be able to help. I left a phone-tag-style voicemail for her explaining my situation and have heard nothing more from her. I learned from another classmate that no date has been set and there are no firm plans.

I'm kind of a reunion/nostalgia junkie, having attended every class reunion (held at five-year intervals) since 1968. I even crashed the Class of 1964's reunion 11 years ago because I had a lot of friends in that class who I hadn't seen in decades.

If I didn't already have my plate full with an unsold house, a digital photo course, a long overdue visit to my granddaughter in Las Vegas and a bunch of other things, I might be tempted to offer my assistance from afar. But I don't have that luxury here in Arkansas and I'll just have to stifle that impulse.

Besides, all of those people are so damned old.

No comments: