Thursday, September 04, 2008

Digitizing

 ttusb_angle_med

After a couple of false starts, I'm up and running in my effort to digitize the best of my old vinyl.

My first project with the Numark TT-USB turntable Dom gave me was the 1977 Electric Light Orchestra album Out of the Blue. I think I only eloplayed it once and that was to make a cassette recording of it. After I got into cassette recording, my habit was to play the vinyl album once for recording purposes and then file it. Consequently, I have a lot of really pristine vinyl.

I was never a big ELO fan, but Maria and her brothers were/are because ELO was popular during their formative years. So I figured Maria should be the first beneficiary of my work.

The recommended software is a freeware program called Audacity and it's fairly intuitive. There are more sophisticated - i.e. not free - programs out there, but this should be just fine for my iPod digitizing needs.

No comments: