Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Roadside confusion

My 2003 BMW K1200GT came with the BMW Motorrad Roadside Assistance Plan, handled by the Cross Country Motor Club.

When it lapsed, I renewed and I carried their membership card in my wallet whenever I rode.

I found a letter from Cross Country in my mailbox last week and supposed it was time to renews.

How wrong. It said, in part:

We regret to inform you that the plan will no longer be offered. But you can be assured that your contract to receive roadside assistance will be honored through the end of your current plan coverage.

All your features and benefits will remain available until your BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance Plan coverage expires 02/22/10.

No explanation about why Cross Country and BMW were parting ways and no suggestion about what to do next.

I called Herb Anderson, owner of Grass Roots BMW Motorcycles at Cape Girardeau, Mo., to ask what BMW Motorrad USA is going to do about roadside assistance. Herb had heard nothing from the BMW folks, but promised to get to the bottom of it for me.

We finally connected yesterday and he gave me a phone number for the firm that is taking over the roadside assistance program. He had no idea why things were changing and said he had to talk to several people at BMW HQ before he found someone who could give him the phone number.

I did a little poking around on the internet and found this notice on the BMW of Cleveland web site:

Effective January 15, 2009
BMW ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
will changeover from Cross Country to Signature Motor Club.
The Roadside Assistance Number will remain the same:
877-680-2176

Effective Jan 15, 2009? 2009? WTF?

That’s the phone number Herb gave me, so I guess I’ll give them a call next week and see what I have to do to get covered.

I don’t fancy hitting the road without coverage, especially since Cross Country rescued me when I had a flat back tire in Kit Carson, Colo. and hauled me and my bike 100 miles back to the dealer in Colorado Springs in the summer of 2008.

No comments: