Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hunkered down

frozen honda My Honda del Sol is encased in ice, the temperature isn’t going to get above freezing for the next two days and it’s not going anywhere.

And neither am I. Well, I may take the all-wheel-drive, ABS-equipped Subaru Forester down to the post office to pick up the mail, but that’s the most ambitious of my travel plans for the weekend as we sit here amid a snow-covered unplowed road system. I can’t get an accurate read on how much snow we got because of blowing and drifting, but one source indicates we got somewhere between 7 and 8 inches. (Stop laughing, Yankees, this is serious business.)

I’m getting used to this Southern “surrender to snow” strategy, but it must seem incredible to folks from Colorado where only a snowfall of Biblical proportions can halt traffic even momentarily.

This will give me a chance to track down the mp3 music files that somehow didn’t make the jump when I moved my iTunes from my old C: drive to my new computer. Any maybe to hang some of my collection of autographed celebrity pictures in the half-bathroom, as I have been threatening to do for more than two years.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UPDATED AT 3:30 P.M.:

I just got back from the post  office, a round trip of maybe 5 miles. The sun is shining brightly in a cloudless sky, but it appears that U.S. 49 has not seen a snowplow. The surface is hard-packed snow with patches of slush and ice and occasional glimpses of pavement (mostly in the northbound lanes). Driving at any speed above 40 mph is asking for trouble.

Likewise, nothing has been done to our subdivision gravel streets, except some tracking and packing from a few vehicles. I’m confident that my del Sol wouldn’t even get out of our driveway with its front-wheel-drive and big wide tires. They’re fabulous on dry pavement, but useless on a slick surface.


No comments: