Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Not freaking out, but paying attention

The National Weather Service says we’re still likely to get freezing rain Thursday night and Friday morning.

Here’s the scenario: See that big ass storm coming ashore in California today? The forecasters see it being forced into a southerly track by high pressure systems as it moves east, bringing it to the mid-South late tomorrow or early Thursday. That means rain for us.

At the same time, a cold front of frigid arctic air is flowing down across the Great Plains and is expected to arrive late Thursday and turn the rain into freezing rain, sleet, and/or snow, depending on where you are relative to the freeze line.

I can’t imagine it rising to the level of last year’s ice storm, but “freezing rain” is my least favorite weather term these days. At the very least, I expect my car doors will be frozen shut Friday morning. I won’t go into what the worst-case scenarios are, but I’ve been there and don’t want to go again.


No comments: