Wednesday, January 06, 2010

It’s News to me

news glasses

These are my favorite glasses – a set of six featuring memorable front pages of my former newspaper, The Indianapolis News.

Tim and Linda Balough found these at a yard sale and bought the set for me several years ago.

They include (from left):

  • Charles Lindbergh makes first solo flight of the Atlantic Ocean on May 20-21, 1927
  • King Edward VIII of England abdicates the throne on Dec. 10, 1936 to marry Mrs. Wallis Simpson, a commoner and a divorcee
  • The U.S. enters World War I on April 6, 1917
  • The front page of the first issue of The News, published on Dec. 7, 1869
  • Louis Meyer becomes the first three-time winner of the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race on May 30, 1936
  • The German airship Hindenburg burns and crashes on May 6, 1937 while landing at Lakehurst, N.J.

No comments: