Monday, July 20, 2009

Rally decompression

ice cream pano

Some random rally observations:

  • A Markel Insurance guy told me they handed out more than 8,000 of those yellow bags at the Country Store. (See photo.)
  • As a reformed smoker, I have a particularly strong dislike for smoke and reserve my most uncharitable thoughts for cigar smokers who inflict their revolting smoke on innocent bystanders. BMW MOA needs to ban smoking at rallies, except in designated downwind areas.
  • The rally crowds were so thick that it was almost impossible to photograph anything farther away than 10 feet without having someone walk into my shot.
  • I had to suppress my “wave reflex” after I got off of the Interstate at the rally exit. I reactivated it somewhere west of Knoxville on the way home.
  • I think the Saturday night fireworks show was a first for MOA rallies. At least, I’ve never seen it at the 17 other rallies I’ve attended.
  • The shuttle service was a life-saver for getting around the grounds.

My spandex shorts mysteriously reappeared from a parallel universe ldcomfortand materialized on the laundry room door knob. No matter, the LDComfort riding shorts I bought at the rally are easily the most  comfortable thing I’ve ever worn under my riding pants.

I experienced absolutely no seat discomfort over the course of my 10-hour trip home and was in no hurry to change out of them once my ride was over. Indy rider John Rinehart tells me he has a pair and loves them too.

Speaking as a guy who has about 300,000 miles on stock BMW seats and who firmly believes the key to seat comfort is your underwear choice, I suggest everyone who rides check out LDComfort.com.

No comments: