Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Getting new contact lenses the hard way

I saw my eye doctor last Wednesday and he wrote prescriptions for new eyeglasses and new contact lenses.

His plan for the contacts was to order a trial pair and let me try them before committing to a full set of disposables in that prescription.

Naturally, the optician he partners with doesn't have a particularly wide range of contacts in stock so they had to be special ordered.

I got a call at 4:45 p.m. today from a woman in his office telling me the trial contacts are in and wanting to schedule an appointment for fitting.

I figure it'll be tomorrow or maybe Thursday.

"The earliest Dr. Cullins can see you is Aug. 24," she said.

"Aug. 24 - a whole month from now? That's crazy."

"Well, that's the earliest he can see you."

"I'm not going to wait that long. I'll just reorder the old prescription and maybe I'd better find another eye doctor," I said.

"Well, I'll see if he'll approve using the old prescription and call you back," she said.

Just so you know, we're talking about Dr. James D. Cullins, O.D. at 416 E. Washington Street, Suite B, Jonesboro, Ark.

No comments: