Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Best Buy is coming to town

One of the things I missed most when we moved here from Indiana was easy access to a Best Buy store.

That's a complaint I heard over and over from other folks who moved bestbuyhere from around the country.

The nearest Best Buy is in Memphis, more than 80 miles away.

Instead, Jonesboro had a Circuit City store at the Mall at Turtle Creek.

I've never liked Circuit City. I thought their store layout was goofy, their checkout procedure was unnecessarily complicated, their prices weren't particularly low and their range of products was too small. I guess other people felt the same way, because the Circuit City store here closed earlier this year as part of a company wide bankruptcy action.

The closing left a big 25,000-square-foot blank space in the middle of the mall. The Jonesboro Sun reports this morning that Best Buy will occupy the vacant space, with plans to open in October.

I've been expecting the announcement ever since I heard a month or so ago that Best Buy applied for a sign permit.

But now it's official.

No word on how many employees the store will hire, but it should be at least as many as worked at Circuit City and possibly more.

No comments: