Saturday, May 30, 2009

Nice, but not THAT nice

BMW k1300GT 09  3This is the 2009 BMW K1300GT, the third-generation of the GT that started in 2003 with my K1200GT.

I sat on one just like this yesterday at BMW Motorcycles of Little Rock. It was fully loaded and the MSRP was $22,245. Add Arkansas's 6% sale tax and the price jumps to 23,579.70.

If I were going to buy a new bike, I'd probably deal with my old Thorntown, Ind. neighbor Larry Parker's son-in-law, who owns a couple of dealerships in Oregon. Oregon has no sales tax.

The young salesman was really keen to sell it to me, but there is no way in hell this bike is worth $23.5k to me. The stripped-down version is $18k, but I'm still not interested.

My '03 GT only has about 43,500 miles on the odometer and I'm really enjoying having it paid off. It was $19,000 and change and I bought it at a time when BMW was offering .9% financing, waiving the first three payments and postponing the first payment for another three months beyond that. That meant I took delivery in early March and my first payment was due in September.

BMW's best offer on the new GT is 2.9% financing for 36 months, ranging up to 4.9% for 60 months.

Nope. No sale and certainly no sale at any dealership in the Mid-South where sales taxes range from 4.225% to 7%.

That said, I'm leaving now to ride my old GT to the post office and maybe beyond.

No comments: