Friday, May 01, 2009

3 quarts of oil in 2,500 miles? WTF?

pennzoil10w-40

Maria mentioned the oil pressure warning light was flickering on and off during her drive home last night.

So after we had lunch today, I took it to the Advance Auto Parts place, popped the hood and pulled the dipstick. No oil showing. At all.

I went inside and bought three quarts of Pennzoil 10W-40 and a small yellow plastic funnel. I poured a quart into the oil filler and checked the dipstick. No oil showing.

I put in a second quart and checked. Still no oil showing.

Well, I thought, maybe it just needs to circulate. I drove home and checked again. Still no oil showing.

I put the third quart in and this time the oil level was up between minimum and maximum marks on the dipstick.

I pulled the service records from the mid-March head gasket replacement job we had done at the dealership in Memphis. That was exactly 2,500 miles ago and they should have filled it with the recommended 4.2 quarts at that time.

How could we burn through three quarts of motor oil in just 2,500 miles and with a new head gasket to boot? I'm baffled.

And so was the service manager at the dealership when I phoned.

No, there are no signs of an oil leak on the concrete driveway where we park the car every night, so it must be going out of the tailpipe. But we haven't noticed the engine smoking.

"Can you bring it in on Monday?" he asked.

No, we're got a busy schedule, but I'll see about getting it in sometime next week.

No comments: