Sunday, May 17, 2009

Jonesing for the Compass 597

Compass_597_Sprint This makes the Mini 9 netbook package complete.

I went to the Sprint website to pay my cell phone bill this afternoon and found an offer of a free Compass 597 EVDO dongle. Well, kinda free. They claim it's worth about a $250 retail. To get one free, I need to sign a new two-year contract for Sprint service and pay an additional $60 a month.

This thing plugs into a USB slot on a laptop computer and voila, I have the same 3G wireless Internet service that I get on my Treo 700p smartphone. This, plus the built-in Wifi would make my travels with my Dell Inspiron Mini 9 netbook considerably easier. It would also make it possible to be online while traveling in a car.

Oooooooo.

This is tempting. Very tempting. But $60 a month is a little too painful at the moment, so it will probably have to wait.

No comments: