Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Different strokes

A woman who used to be a columnist at the newspaper I fired nine years ago for wasting my time, has a blog that I check every now and then.

Like me, she is embittered by what Gannett has done to newspapering in Indianapolis. I enjoy her posts that expose the sleazy management and abuse of talented and long-suffering journalists.

But that's about all we have in common.

She's a rabid Democrat, i.e., reflexive Republican-hater. She loved to bash G.W. Bush and is so myopic that she cheap-shots Mitch Daniels, the best governor Indiana has had in my lifetime. And she actually believed Obama should be president. At least that's what she said during the campaign. She's been strangely silent on the subject of BHO recently, so maybe she's beginning to have second thoughts about the consequences of her vote.

But what really strikes me as curious is her fondness for urban living. She seems to think there is something noble - almost pioneering - about the gentrification of older neighborhoods near downtown Indianapolis.

Recently, she has championed the cause of some guy in a near downtown neighborhood who thinks he was unjustly hassled by the cops in a dispute with a cranky neighbor over where he piled some old bricks.

Whatever.

I think it's particularly telling that she blogs from her rural home in a county some 50 miles west of Indianapolis.

I lived in the city for more than 20 years and whatever charm there was to it has evaporated for me. Urban pioneering strikes me as embarrassingly self-indulgent - something people do more to make a socio-political statement than to fulfill a practical need. Sorta like driving a hybrid car, which has only marginal fuel economy and creates a horrendous environmental problem when it comes to disposing of the batteries. It's all about making them feel good about themselves in a dangerously illusory way.

But that kind of brings us back to the liberal/Obama thing. Those folks want to live in a Utopian world where we worship Gaia, gladly share the wealth, and are so nice to our enemies that they can't help but love us.

Sorry, but I prefer to hang with people who are grounded in reality. I went through my moonbat phase in my 20s and thank God every day that I finally grew out of it. I just hope the loons running the country grow up before they get us all killed.

In the meantime, watch The Goode Family at 9 p.m. Eastern/8 p.m. central tonight on ABC.

No comments: