Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rally Report - Thursday morning

I was up about 6 a.m. and into the showers without a wait. Lots of hot water and way better than average facilities.
Dom LoDuca, Tim Balough, Dave Bernhardt and I rode to McBreakfast where I determined that the local newspaper had no coverage of the rally.
I made it to an 8:30 a.m. organizational meeting of rally photographers where the four of us looked over the schedule and kinda figured out what we're going to shoot today.
I got some nice shots of Charlie the beagle and his owner from North Kansas City before moving on to the vendor area.
Old friend Ted Simon seemed genuinely pleased to see me - I think we last met in Spokane about four years ago. Ted looks characteristically fit and chipper and will do a seminar on his globe-circling rides here tomorrow.
I replaced my smashed Oakley sunglasses with a $12 pair with red frames and the word "Turbo" on the wings. They look oddly cool.
Thinking of having Sean Franklin's Cyclegadgets.com guys put a mount for my GPS on the bike so I can see it properly while riding. Peering down into my tank bag for GPS clues is frustrating and dangerous.
Wayne Garrison and wife Peggy Rose are teaching a country line dancing seminar at 4 p.m. which I plan to photograph.
Gonna try to get in a ride to Devil's Tower tomorrow or Saturday.
As BMW MOA rallies go, this one is pretty good.
Even if there is ear-splitting sprint car racing going on about a half-mile east of the quiet camping area where the Indianapolis BMW Club gang has our enclave.
The campsite is far from the beergarden and other rally stuff, but Indy Club member Rick Nelson is one of the two guys in charge of the shuttle service and made sure we are well served.

No comments: