Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Ouch! Politically incorrect!

Here's a politically incorrect image for you, guaranteed to make the guys at BMW Motorrad USA scream.

I used to collect Third Reich militaria back in the 1980s and '90s and my collection included a couple of big boxes full of flags and banners.

If memory serves, I think I had just bought this tall building-size banner at an estate auction nazi r100rsand wanted a photo of it. So I hung it from my son Sean's bedroom window on the back of our house and posed my '81 BMW R100RS in front of it.

It must have been very weird for my sons to grow up in a house where so much Nazi crap was on open display. Especially since they had Jewish friends.

For the record, Hitler and his followers were evil vermin who richly earned the destruction the rest of the civilized world visited upon them. And I find today's neo-Nazis equally distasteful. That said, this stuff is a part of history and must be preserved so the mist of time doesn't obscure the hideous crimes of the Third Reich and the ease with which an otherwise cultured people were seduced into unspeakable savagery.

No comments: