Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 2 - Onawa, IA to Rapid City, SD

Greetings from Rabid City.
My tent is pitched in the blazing afternoon sun and I'm rehydrating in the patio shade at the KOA.
I've ridden 1,115 miles since yesterday morning, with another 150 or so to go tomorrow morning to Gillette.
This KOA is jammed with motorhomes pulling cars. I shudder to think how much those people are spending a day on gas or diesel. It's just obscene. I cringe when I calculate I've burned $90 worth of gas getting here.
I discovered this morning that I accidentally smashed my sunglasses last night because I left them unprotected in a jacket pocket that got stepped on in the tent.
No reading glasses and now no shades. Crap.
I gained an hour today, crossing into the Mountain time zone, so I have an extra hour to kill this evening.
I was up before the sun and hit the showers at the Onawa KOA at 5:30.
My hairdryer tripped the bathroom circuit breaker - something it has done elsewhere - and I skulked out hoping I could flee the campground before the next guy came in to shower. (The management was still in bed and I didn't want to roust them to fix it at that hour.) I threw the offending dryer into the trash, packed, loaded and fled into the rising sun.
Rabid City is in Sprint roam territory so I may or may not be able to post this.

No comments: