Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Voting. Again.

We voted this morning and it was the first time in several years that I've requested a Democrat primary ballot.
No, it had nothing to do with the presidential race. The Arkansas presidential primary was back on Super Tuesday.
Today's exercise in democracy was to nominate county-level candidates and there was only one contest for us to decide - a three- way race for county tax collector.
The reason we asked for Democrat ballots is because there were no contested races at all on the GOP side.
The polling place was at the Brookland Town Hall - a modest little structure south of the high school campus that isn't exactly easy to find if you're new to town.
And just for the record, we were required to show a photo I.D. - something Democrats apparently hate because it makes it harder for dead people to keep voting. You may recall that the U.S. Supreme Court recently upheld the constitutionality of the Indiana law requiring photo I.D. for voting.
I'm reminded of the Mort Sahl line: "When I die, I want to be buried in Chicago because I'd like to stay politically active."
We get to make our third trip to the polls, of course, in November when he help elect President McCain.

No comments: