Thursday, May 08, 2008

Domebook 2 revisited


My copy of Domebook 2 floated to the top of the flotsam and jetsam of our move to Arkansas recently and I took some time this morning to revisit this 37-year-old relic of my New Age/hippyish past.
Domebook 2 was a 126-page, 14½"x11" paperback that was published in 1971. It featured detailed text and photos of various dome homes and gave the reader the formulae for building domes of various sizes and complexity.
I was a big fan of R. Buckminster Fuller, the inventor of the geodesic dome, and thought domes were outrageously cool. Even though they are the most cost effective way to enclose space, they haven't caught on for a variety of reasons, including:
1. Building codes are written for conventional construction and don't accommodate dome structures.
2. Consumer tastes in home architecture haven't caught up with Frank Lloyd Wright, let alone Bucky Fuller.
I used the book as a guide to designing and building a two-frequency alternate phase icosahedron dome. It was a two/thirds sphere with a 2 meter radius.
I did the whole thing in metric measurements because it was way simpler than dealing with feet, inches and fractions of inches. I bought a Stanley metric tape measure for the project and still have it.
Since pocket calculators were still a few years out for all but the architects and engineers, I did all of my calculations on a slide rule.
I built the dome from 2"x2"s and plywood hubs. I paid $26 for the 2"x2"s and used plywood I had left over from a doghouse project. I'm including the specs, but I notice I didn't record what I spent for the 190 nut-bolt-washer assemblies I used to fasten the whole thing together. The whole thing cost less than $100, which was the threshold for needing a building permit in Indianapolis at the time.
When we moved from our duplex at 4829 N. College Ave. to our home at 5009 N. College, some friends and I just picked the thing up and carried it up the alley two blocks to set it down in our new back yard.
My two sons used it as a play structure for a few years before I disassembled it and finally gave it to a guy who wanted to set up an environment to study ants.
I noticed with some interest that Domebook 2, being out of print, is in some demand and used copies are selling for $60 or more on Amazon.com.
Coming as it did from the hippie counterculture, it's as much a cultural artifact as a how-to book.

No comments: