Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ouch!

I bought my first $50 tank of gas today when I filled the tank on the Subaru at the Hilltop Kum & Go (yeah, I know) about noon.
Actually, it came to $50.01.
I'm sure several of my readers have already crossed this painful threshold, but today was a first for me. The sad thing is that I fully expect to see a $100 tank of gas eventually, and probably sooner than I'd like.
This means, of course, that I'll favor my 30 mpg Honda del Sol over the 24 mpg Subaru Forester, but when weather permits, I'll do my traveling on my 40 mpg BMW K1200GT or Maria's 49 mpg BMW K75S.
I ran an errand on Maria's bike yesterday morning and noticed the shifting was conspicuously notchy and I had to forceably stomp it down from fourth to third gear a couple of times. I mentioned the problem to one of the service technicians at Grass Roots BMW Motorcycles later that day and he opined I have a leaking transmission seal and the gears need oil.
So I checked the level this afternoon, found it nearly bone dry, and ran down to the nearby Advance Auto Parts store for a liter of 80W90 hypoid gear oil.
Naturally, Maria's bike's toolkit is missing the tool that serves as a dipstick for transmission oil and naturally my new bike doesn't come with one and naturally, I couldn't locate the tool kit from my old K100RS. So I just kinda eyeballed it, being guided by the owner's manual specs.
After adding the oil, I buttoned it up and went for a spin. Voila! Buttery smooth shifting.
So when Grass Roots opens on Tuesday, I'll call and book some service time to get the offending seal or seals replaced. So what if it's 145 miles to their shop? I'm looking forward to the ride.

No comments: