Thursday, May 01, 2008

Knowing left from right


I love BMW Motorcycle Apparel.
Yes, it's pricey, but it's also high-tech and - to my mind, anyway - stylish in a European kind of way.
The Summer Pants are my favorite riding pants because they don't scream "MOTORCYCLE" when you're walking into a restaurant or some other place of business. At first glance, they look like heavy khaki cargo pants.
Here's how BMW describes them:
Pants that convert into shorts! What a great idea for going on the motorcycle for a summer day trip! These pants are constructed of Cordura 500, which is extremely abrasion resistant. It has removable NP armor at the knees (two position height adjustable). The five outer pockets give you plenty of room to store your cell phone, wallet, keys, etc. These pants have such a casual style they will work great with just about any motorcycle jacket!
I noticed during my Memphis ride yesterday that mine could use a wash, so I ran them through the washer and dryer this morning. The laundering instructions are to remove the rubber armor pads, which involves unzipping the lower legs for easier access to the pockets holding the pads.
After they were dry, I re-inserted the armor pads and zipped the legs back together.
Then I noticed something was seriously wrong.
The pads were now on the back of each pant leg - no big deal if you plan to walk around stiff-legged all day, but not if you want to sit on a bike.
So I guess there really is a right and a left lower pant leg on these things.
I'm just glad I noticed it before I hung them up in my closet.

No comments: