Saturday, May 17, 2008

It's always something...


In the interest of freeing up space on my C: drive and regaining some of the speed my Core2Duo processor used to have, I copied my 60GB iTunes Music folder to my newer, larger internal hard drive that call itself H:
Then I went into iTunes and clicked Edit>Preferences>Advanced and browsed to the new folder's location on H: drive and OK'd my way back out. I closed iTunes and re-launched it to confirm that it still saw my music.
After a day or so, I figured everything was working fine, so I could chance getting the original iTunes Music folder off of my C: drive to reap the benefits of this change. Ever cautious, I decided against throwing the now-duplicated iTunes Music folder into the trash and, instead, moved it to the H: drive and renamed it Backup iTunes.
Now, when I launch iTunes, it can't see the relocated music. I've repeatedly gone to Edit>Preferences>Advanced and reset to the new location. I also tried resetting to the new location of the backup folder I moved, all with the same result: a blank iTunes music list.
It appears that iTunes was still looking at the original iTunes Music folder on C: drive, even though I told it to work from the new folder on H: drive. But, being a trusting soul, I figured the re-direction was working.
WTF?
I'm loathe to move the ITunes Music folder back to its original location on C: drive and give up the hard drive space and speed.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get iTunes to redirect?

2 comments:

The Untamed Palate said...

You might try uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling it with the new directory path. I think the reason it's getting fussy is because if you were on a shared network, you could file-share with anyone on that network just by changing your directory. Probably something related to the RIAA's assault on piracy.

The Oracle said...

I was thinking the same thing.
I uninstalled iTunes, then re-installed it and it still ignored my efforts to point it to the new location of the music on H: drive.
So I finally surrendered, copied the 60+ gigs of music back to the C: drive and, of course, iTunes sees it and is happy once more.
And I still have an overcrowded C: drive. Looks like I have to move or delete something else.