Thursday, August 21, 2008

Why Ebay shoppers can make me crazy

Because we need the money and the garage space, I'm liquidating my somewhat pointless collection of East German military uniforms on Ebay.72EGA officer

The first set of auctions closed on Tuesday morning and I discovered the buyer of this East German Army major's uniform lives in Beijing, China. I turned away one bidder from Brazil and I had specified "No International Sales" in the auction because I don't like the hassle of shipping outside the U.S.

I got an email from the buyer yesterday asking if I would ship the purchase to an address in Washington, D.C. Of course I will. I sent him an invoice with a $15 shipping charge. I could have shipped it in a $12.95 large flat rate box, but the tunic and trousers won't fit in the box. So I chose a larger Priority Mail box which will cost more to mail.

So this morning, I had this email exchange:

Buyer: Excuse me, I found that the postage from Brookland to other states is $12, and I don't understand why it go up to $15? Would you mind choose a cheaper way that posted to my friend. Thanks! By the way, have you has other uniforms?

Me: I have shipping and handling costs over and above the postage - I add delivery confirmation to assure the package reaches its destination, plus the cost of packing tape and other materials, plus fuel cost for the 5-mile round trip to the post office. That said, I will reduce your shipping cost to $13.
And, yes, I have more uniforms. I listed more items yesterday.

Buyer: ok, I will wait for your other uniforms, if I like I will choose more, will you combine shipping cost? thanks

(By this time, I'm getting tired of screwing around with this guy and am realizing that he's working me.)

Me:Sorry, but no. I will combine shipping on items that close within the same 24-hour period, but I cannot wait for a 7-day auction to close to maybe/maybe not add another item to the order.
Please pay for this item now and I will ship it today to the Washington address you provide.

Buyer: ok, pls give me a new bill that postage is $13, I will pay it when I receive it. thank you!

I sent him a revised invoice, taking $2 off of the shipping cost, he paid by Paypal and his purchase goes to the Brookland Post Office later this morning. All that for $2.

No comments: