Sunday, August 03, 2008

"Cheap" is a relative term when it comes to sunglasses

rayRB4087
It's been several months since the Dillard's Discount Center closed and the 10-cents-on-the-dollar clothes deals went away.
The regular Dillard's in the Turtle Creek Mall was never a very appealing shopping venue for me because of their insanely high prices.
Nevertheless, Maria has gotten some good deals on sale merchandise and it was with that thought in mind that I agreed to check out their offering of men's sunglasses last week.
I was in the market for a new pair of shades because of a bonehead move on July 14 when I left my favorite pair of Oakleys in the left breast pocket of my motorcycle jacket when I threw my gear into my tent at a KOA Kampground in western Iowa. The tankbag was the prudent place to put them.
Thrashing around in the middle of the night, I heard a disturbing Ray-Bancouple of crunches and snaps, which turned out to be the destruction of my unprotected plastic sunglass frames.
I learned earlier this summer than Oakley won't repair plastic models that are not in current production, so the broken shades went into the trash.
I bought a pair of red-framed cheap sunglasses, complete with the word "Turbo" on the wings, at the BMW MOA rally a few days later, but Maria thought they looked cheesy and insisted I get a proper pair of shades.
So, imagine my delight when I found this pair of Ray-Ban RB 4087 shades marked down from their original $119 to $55 and change.
The RB 4087 doesn't have a sexy name like some other Ray-Ban models, like the classic Wayfarers, but it suits me just fine and I've always kinda wanted a pair of the Italian-made Ray-Bans.
I haven't tried them under a motorcycle helmet, but I'm reasonably sure they'll work fine.

No comments: