Thursday, August 28, 2008

IE8 Beta 2 - a first look

The Beta 2 version of Internet Explorer became available for download yesterday - it's the one that supports Service Packs 2 and 3 of Windows XP.Internet_Explorer_7_Logo

I downloaded and installed it this afternoon and am still ascending the learning curve for the new features and can't say much about them at this point.

But I can say it crashes every time I try to access my Favorites (bookmarks). Fortunately, I installed Delicious while Morgan was here and can still access my bookmarks through that path.

And I can no longer see the content of the Flickr.com Badge gizmo on the right side of this page.

The installation process for IE8 notified me that my Google toolbar would not transfer and asked if I wanted to to get a newer version. I checked the "no" box and soon regretted it. I find it hard to deal with the Internet without Google. Windows Live Search is OK as far as it goes, but Google is my choice.

I heard recently on a Leo Laporte podcast that half of all Internet users use a search engine at least once a day.

Half? That seems like an ultra-conservative estimate. But then I'm a geek and my Internet habits are probably different from a lot of the population.

No comments: