Friday, June 24, 2011

An impending storm, a fire and an anniversary

The sun is peeking through a partly cloudy sky, but it’s going to rain in an hour or two.

How do I know?

  1. Weather Channel radar, and
  2. Pete the Aussie, who is terrified of storms, is hunkered down under my desk.

I dragged a few fallen limbs over to the fire pit this morning and chain-sawed them into 3-4-foot lengths before piling them up, dumping the contents of my office shredder into the mix and putting the flame to it.

The pile was blazing along merrily when I left it a few minutes ago, safe in the knowledge that it’s not going to spread. I hope to get most of it burned by the time the rain shows up to extinguish the flames.

J&D wedding 02

I noticed this morning that today is June 24. Forty-four years ago today I married Diane Kroon at the Christian Reformed Church in Lafayette, Ind.

This is one of the few surviving photos of the event. The official photographer did all of the bridal ceremony setup shots with no film in his camera.

I don’t regret it. We had some good years and raised two handsome and exceptionally talented sons before the wheels came off.

No comments: