Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Another club member down

Dallas Peak, BMW Motorcycle Club of Indianapolis.

Dallas Peak, a doctor at Indiana University Health -Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis and a stalwart member of the Indianapolis BMW Motorcycle Club, is in the hospital as a patient today after getting hit by a car while riding his bike to work yesterday.dallas fracture

Here’s what he posted to Facebook last night:

I just want to say thank you to everyone who helped me today and to have me in their thoughts.

First of all, I'm fine. You can see the fracture. Fortunately, that is all. The gear really did its job so well. I was on my way to work.

It was the classic car turning right into my path of travel. It all happened so fast. I was on the ground is the next thing I remember. I knew my (left) arm was broken. But otherwise fine.

And wonderful first responders took great care of me. The ER staff was, horse, just absolutely awesome. Because it was compound, I went straight to the OR and had surgery. I am in my room now. I need to sleep! More to come later. Thank you to everyone here who took care of me,all of you rock!

He was up and on his feet by 8 a.m. today, walking laps around the fourth floor of the hospital where his room is.

His wife Pam is also an M.D., so he’s in good hands in and out of the hospital.

In the meantime, club member Andy Clark, who suffered serious brain injury a couple of weekends ago when he was hit in the head by a spare tire that fell from an oncoming horse trailer, is showing some progress.

Theresia Shearer wrote on the club’s message board:

It's been a rough two weeks for the Clark family but Andy is showing some improvement. They have moved him out of ICU.  He's no longer on a ventilator but does have a trach.  Friday he had surgery to place a more direct feeding tube.

The medical team is working towards getting him strong enough to move to a rehab center, though at this time he's not ready for an aggressive therapy facility like RHI.

So, a few more steps forward in a long recovery.

Your prayers are working so keep them coming.

It’s news like this that – as Hunter S. Thompson used to say – gives a man paws.

No comments: