Friday, March 20, 2015

Headphone avalanche

black parrot

I was lying in bed, wide awake at 2:30 this morning, when it occurred to me to check my Amazon Vine Program offerings to see if anything really cool was available.

Since our internet had been out since midday Wednesday, I used my iPhone 5 to log into my Vine account.

To my astonishment, I was being offered the Parrot Zik 2.0 wireless headphones, with an MSRP of $399.99. There were only two pairs left, so I jumped on it immediately.

This, only weeks after the Vine Program blessed me with the Bang & Olufsen H8 wireless headphones, with an MSRP of $499.99.

I guess they liked the review I wrote for the B&O ‘phones.

Some other folks who reviewed the H8s compared them with the Parrots, pronouncing the B&O product superior in comfort and sound.

The Parrots have more bells and whistles, employing a smartphone app that adds a graphic equalizer and other ways to fine-tune the listening experience. I’ve already downloaded the free app to my iPhone.

I had been jonesing for a good pair of headphones for years and as late as last fall asked my musician sons to recommend a set for under $100.

Then in November Amazon offered me a $90 Corsair wireless gaming headphone, which proved to be a significant improvement over the cheap stuff I’d been using.

Then Maria gave me a Bluetooth sports headphone that is absolutely perfect for treadmill workouts and also lets me take and make cell phone calls through my iPhone.

Then the Bang & Olufsens and now the Parrots.

To say that I’ve gotten my wish when it comes to headphones is a serious understatement.

No comments: