Sunday, March 15, 2015

Found: Eric Clapton’s autograph

clapton autograph

Making good on a pledge to purge our garage of excess clutter this afternoon, I found this rock and roll artifact in a box of papers dating back to my senior eric72composition class in high school.

It’s Eric Clapton’s autograph on a sheaf of copy paper, dating from the evening of March 22, 1968 when Bob Basler and I covered a concert by Cream at Clowes Hall on the Butler University campus for The Indianapolis News.

Bob did the words and I did the photos that night. During a lull in the activities in the after-concert dressing room press meeting, I asked Eric for his autograph on the only paper I had handy and here – almost 47 years later – it is. Proof that I have a very very hard time throwing anything away.

No comments: