Saturday, March 07, 2015

Finally!

I spent several hours last night and this afternoon trying to figure out why my desktop computer and Maria’s also suddenly lost the ability to print to our Brother MFCJ6920DW Wireless Multifunction Inkjet Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax.
brotherMaria is working on a project for a quilt store in Tennessee and needs to make some printouts, so the work is stalled until the printer works again.
I thought maybe her expired McAfee antivirus software might be blocking the connection, so I deleted it and installed one of my five copies of Trend Micro antivirus, but it made no difference. Well, at least her machine is better protected now.
I tried all kinds of fixes to the Brother machine. It kept saying it was connected to our wireless network and the Linksys router, but it clearly was not connected in any functional sense of the word.
So I turned my attention to the router settings and tried getting the router to shake hands with the Brother unit in the Wi-Fi Protected Setup process. Same result – the printer said it was connected, but wouldn’t print.
Out of desperation, I turned off the Wi-Fi Protected mode. Considering that our router is password protected, it seemed redundant anyway.
Suddenly the printer started spitting out all of the print jobs that were queued up from today and yesterday.
Aha!
So I updated the firmware on the Brother, re-installed it on Maria’s desktop computer and confirmed that it now prints like a champ.
Now I need to figure out why Maria’s computer can’t even see our Canon Office Products MAXIFY MB2320 Wireless Home Office Inkjet Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax while my desktop computer can and has full functionality with it.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
One week later, the Brother machine is unavailable for printing again.
I went to the router controls and confirmed that the Wi-Fi Protected Setup was still turned off.
Hmmm.
Just to be sure, I turned it on, then turned it off again.
And the Brother printer sprang to life and disgorged all of the queued print jobs that had previously been blocked.
Fortunately, we needed extra copies anyway and now we know how to get it back on line.

No comments: