Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pressure

My garage is full of stuff that I can look at and wonder, “What the hell was I thinking when I bought that?”compressor
But the Craftsman air compressor I bought a few years ago from Sears is definitely not in that category.
For $100 and change I have the luxury of airing up my car and motorcycle tires when they’re cold, just as they should be. If I drove down to the gas station and used their air, I’d be working with warm tires and distorted psi values.
This occurred to me this morning when I prepared to drive to the post office. I recalled that my del Sol’s handling was a little mushy yesterday, so I got the tire gauge out of my motorcycle tank bag and checked pressures. Sure enough, all four tires were low – a couple of them alarmingly so.
So I dragged out the compressor and brought them all up to 29 psi. The difference in handling was noticeable.
And I get the assurance that I’m saving gas and prolonging the life of my tires.
So there.

No comments: