Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Zeitlupe Dienstag (slow-motion Tuesday)

No pithy observations from me today. I just can’t come up with 164603anything profound, or even semi-profound.

I spent a couple of hours working out a thorny software/hardware problem with my netbook this morning and would still be spinning my wheels were it not for my computer mentor Tim Balough.

Tim, a longtime BMW riding friend, has turned his knowledge of and interest in computers into a second career since he and wife Linda “retired” and moved to Alma, Colo. from Plainfield, Ind.

Tim runs Hoosier Computer Help and has rescued more of his friends and neighbors than he can count. Likewise, I can’t count the number of times he’s bailed me out when I found myself baffled by my computer(s).

While the business name may seem odd for someone working in Colorado, it makes perfect sense – Tim is an expatriate Hoosier living in the shadow of Hoosier Pass. I promised him a case of beer the next time I’m out there as payment for today’s guidance through the thicket of SSD partitioning. And thanks to him, my Dell Inspiron Mini 9 is running better than ever.

Oh, yeah. I had a decent book-selling day on Amazon.com. I sold a 75-cent paperback copy of “Stuka Pilot,” the wartime experiences of Hans Ulrich Rudel, the premiere Luftwaffe tank-buster on the Eastern Front in WWII, for $33. (It’s out of print and hard to find.) And I unloaded another 40-year-old 50-cent paperback for $2.49. Not exactly high finance, but way better than trying to unload all those boxes of books at a garage sale or used book store.

And I just noticed that Jen (Temple of Jennifer) is back after nearly a month’s absence from the blogosphere.

No comments: