Thursday, December 24, 2009

A liter is a lot of beer (something I would not have conceded when I was in my 20s)

liter of beer I’m marking Christmas Eve with a full liter of Beck’s Dark beer from the generous cache of imported beer that Austin gave me today.

I’d forgotten how much a liter of beer is. It took 3 bottles of Beck’s Dark to fill this sucker.

We had to rescue Austin last evening when his ‘95 Chevy Beretta crapped out on the way home from work in Paragould. Fortunately, he was able to park it in the small lot of an insurance agency along U.S. 49. It had been raining all day and we did a fair measure of hydroplaning on the way up to Paragould about 8:30 p.m.

It rained all night (the Weather Channel says Brookland got 1.87” Wednesday) and was still raining like a mofo when we got up at 8 a.m. to begin the Beretta recovery process. I called the U.S. Auto Club towing service number and asked them to dispatch a wrecker to haul the car a mile or so south to Gateway Tire. Then we hydroplaned up to Paragould (still raining like a mofo) and waited about an hour for the wrecker guy to show up.

We finally got things sorted out and the Gateway guys replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner right away, so Austin has a working car over the holiday weekend.

We stopped by the post office and found parcels from Lauri and Jim and from Sean and Ruth. I wonder what’s in them…

No comments: