Thursday, September 03, 2009

Thursday morning report

deck view

ALMA, Colo. – It’s another sunny morning in the High Country, although the skies have an unnatural haze from the wildfires on the Western Slope and beyond.

The Stellar’s jays are ravaging the bird feeders on the deck, only to be muscled aside now and then by the squirrels.jay

We haven’t solidified a plan for the day beyond driving down to Buena Vista for steak this evening. I need to do some shopping for some kind of lightweight microfleece pullover to keep me warm while I’m just walking around. My only alternative is to wear my Gerbings heated jacket and carry around a 12 volt battery, but then that’s not really an option. So I guess that means a trip over Hoosier Pass to the shopping choices in Breckenridge, Frisco and Silverthorne. We also need a cable to let us play my iPod video content on the Baloughs’ new widescreen TV.

My body has noticed that I’m far, far above my normal home elevation of 330 feet above sea level and in a different ecosystem:

  • My nasal passages have dried out and the nosebleeds have started.
  • I had an altitude headache last night.
  • My allergies have me sneezing and sniffling.
  • I feel like I’m full of air.
  • My lower lip is chapped, peeling and painful despite liberal applications of Cherry Chapstick.

That said, I’m enjoying the scenery and the hospitality.

2 comments:

Lauri Shillings said...

Hey, Look at the bright side. Cherry Chapstick ROCKS!

endthought said...

That has to be the best view from a house ever.