Friday, September 18, 2009

Riding Crowley’s Ridge Parkway

It took way too much time to edit, convert and upload to YouTube, but I finally figured out how to get the video from my GoPro Hero helmetcam onto the blog.

The video covers a segment of Crowley’s Ridge, the only interesting topographic feature in northeast Arkansas, the rest of which is flat Mississippi delta. The Ridge runs from near Cape Girardeau, Mo. to Helena, Ark. and rises 200+ feet above the surrounding countryside. Since it was higher than the surrounding flood-prone countryside, Indians and early settlers prized it as the only dry route from Cape Girardeau into east central Arkansas.

The road network that follows the Ridge was designated a Scenic Byway a couple of years ago and it known as Crowley’s Ridge Parkway. Happily, it runs just a few miles from our home, which is also on the Ridge.

I shot this video yesterday afternoon, mainly to try out the helmetcam. The weather was overcast, making the images lackluster, but it’s a start.

It starts in the parking lot of KAIT-TV on Craighead County Road 766 where I clipped the helmetcam to my Arai and pushed the Start button. It ends at Wolcott.

I downloaded a trial version of a $50 video editing program and spent several hours trimming the original 53 minutes of video down to fit the YouTube limit of 10 minutes and trying to find a conversion that YouTube would accept. I’m sure the software will do it, but I haven’t been able to make it happen. So I fell back on the Windows Movie Maker software that came with Windows XP SP2 and, voila, I had a WMV file that uploaded quickly and cleanly to YouTube.

Happily, I have Windows Movie Maker on my netbook, so I can edit and upload helmetcam video when I’m traveling.


2 comments:

endthought said...

How fast were you going around 9:13?

The Oracle said...

Probably about 60 mph, or maybe 65. The wide angle lens covers 170 degrees and exaggerates the effects of speed. I can only imagine what it will look like when I do a genuinely high speed video.