Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday morning luna-cy

luna moth

The only luna moths I’ve ever seen had pins struck through them in moth and butterfly collections.

Until this morning.

As I walked to the Subaru this morning to drive down to Books-A-Million for my morning coffee and blogging, I glanced at one of the carriage lights by the garage door to make sure it was turned off. That’s when my eyes fell upon this somewhat worse-for-wear luna moth. It’s the first live luna moth I’ve ever seen and one more flora and fauna first for our new Arkansas home.

I called Maria and Austin out to see it and shot a few photos with my Olympus point-and-shoot.

Our former Indiana home is within the range of the luna moth but I never saw one there, probably because they have an adult lifespan of only seven days. They may produce as many as three generations a year at this latitude and as few as one generation a year up in Canada.

When I downloaded the moth photos from my camera’s memory card, I also grabbed some flower pictures from yesterday morning’s visit to the ASU Farmers Market. These were among the Whitton Farms offerings:

flowers

No comments: