Friday, August 28, 2009

Damned rain

speedway library

SPEEDWAY, Ind. - I’m about as soaked as a drowned rat, mostly in sweat from steamy weather inside a rainsuit, in a study carrel at the Speedway Public Library.

Charlie and I set out from the campground for a Starbucks I found with my Garmin. Charlie doubled back to get something he’s forgotten and I discovered a few minutes later, in the pouring rain, that the Starbucks was gone – closed several months ago.

So I fumbled around in the wet and the afternoon traffic until I noticed the library and figured they must have Wifi and an outlet to charge my phone. They did. And the Wifi will shut down at 4:50 and they will throw me out at 5 and it’s 4:33 right now.

larry parker We went to the track to see the sights in late morning and I found my old BMW riding neighbor Larry Parker standing near the pits. It was great to see him and we agreed to rendezvous next July at the BMW MOA in Redmond, Ore. Larry’s daughter and son-in-law own two BMW motorcycle dealerships in Oregon – Portland and Eugene and he travels there often.

bimboI ran into probably a dozen Indianapolis BMW Club friends as we cruised the infield and the vendors where I posed for this memorable shot with some motorcycle accessory bimbo.

The overcast was thickening and Charlie’s iPhone weather radar app showed rain was almost upon us. I suggested we start heading back northwest toward the campground.

We managed to watch a little of the 125cc practice session before the rain hit.

Charlie just called to say he discovered the Starbucks is dead too and suggested we meet back at the campground when I finish here. So we will.

in the stands

1 comment:

endthought said...

Libraries are always good for internet, but they do tend to close earlier. grrr.