Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mont Blanc does it right

montblancrollerball I had to sign some business papers this afternoon, scan them and send them back as PDF files.

Whenever I do that, I like to use my Mont Blanc rollerball pen because it has a distinctive blue-green ink that stands out on the page.

My pen was out of ink, so I went to the supply cabinet and got a refill, determined it worked, put it into the pen and signed the documents.

Then I glanced at the individual cardboard container from which the refill came.

It was marked "Made in W. Germany."

Holy crap! Mont Blanc packages their refills tightly!

West Germany, i.e. the Federal Republic of Germany, ceased to exist in 1990 when it was reunited with East Germany. That means this rollerball refill was made before 1990 and, therefore, is at least 20 years old. And it writes perfectly.

A-freaking-mazing!

I bought all of the Mont Blanc blue rollerball refills an Indianapolis jewelry store had back around 2003 when they were getting out of the pen business and blowing out all their Mont Blanc stuff. I worried that the refills might dry up before I could use them. I guess I needn't have worried.

No comments: