Friday, November 07, 2014

It was my birthday, but not my town

us 50 01

July 14, 2001 – Rich Nathan and I were on the first day of our campaign to ride the entirety of U.S. 50, which runs from Ocean City, Md. to Sacramento, Calif.

Rich, of course, shot the photo. That’s his red BMW R1100RS in the background.

It was my first visit to Flora, Ill. According to Epodunk.com, Flora, Illinois was named after the daughter of one of the founders, so it’s not a surname. Flora, Indiana is named for my forebears, who were the first white settlers in Carroll County. There are also towns named Flora in Ohio and Mississippi.

We left Indianapolis a little after 7 a.m. and finally went to ground at a Day’s Inn in Ottawa, Kans. about 9:30 p.m., having covered 660 miles.

We did the eastern leg of U.S. 50 on the third week of October.

us 50 10

Here we are at Ocean City, Md.

No comments: