Friday, May 10, 2013

Happy Birthday, Blog

My blog is nine years old today.

I never expected it to continue this long, but here we are. This is my 4,818th blogpost. The counter I installed in May, 2007, has recorded more than a quarter-million pageviews since then.

When I began blogging on Monday, May 10, 2004, I was a youthful 58 years old, living in a 101-year-old Queen Anne Victorian house in Thorntown, Ind. with my wife, who was working at The Indianapolis Star’s Metro West Bureau in Avon.

My stepson Austin was living with us and still in high school and his sister Morgan was a student at the Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics and the Humanities on the campus of Ball State University in Muncie, Ind.

We had one dog – Ruthie – and I was looking forward to my second riding season on my new 2003 BMW K1200GT.

If you had told me I would be living in Arkansas and liking it some nine years hence, I wouldn’t have believed it. Ditto for having my second Australian shepherd, driving a Lexus SUV, and owning an office building in downtown Jonesboro.

My son Sean was in Portland then and still is, but his brother Steve and his wife and daughter moved from Cincinnati to Las Vegas and are preparing to move again to New York City, or maybe just across the river to New Jersey.

Austin has grown into a responsible man with sensitivity and character. Morgan has been married, moved to Arizona, divorced, moved in with us in October, landed her dream job as a children’s librarian, and is buying a home for herself here.

And we have renters living in our Thorntown house.

Isn’t life interesting?

No comments: