Wednesday, October 31, 2012

They know what (or who) they like

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Here are a couple of signs (boxed in red) that I noticed on the door of a rural Mississippi gas station where we refueled en route to Sturgis, Miss., yesterday.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen one of these “We have the right to refuse service to anyone” signs, but they were not uncommon – even in Indiana – when I was a kid in the 1950s. I remember seeing one in a little cafĂ© on Main Street in Delphi, Ind.

I didn’t know it at the time, but it was code for “We don’t serve black people (or any other racial or ethnic group we don’t like).”

The “No sagging” sign refers, of course, to the fashion statement adopted by many black youth of wearing their pants below their underwear line.

The place also sells guns, ammo and fishing supplies.

No comments: