Monday, October 08, 2012

The sneakiest holiday

Today is Columbus Day - one of those postal holidays that I never see coming.

Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday and Presidents' Day usually catch me unawares as well. Well, not so much MLK Day because there is always plenty of MLK retrospective stuff on TV to tip me off.

I usually discover these days are upon me when I notice the mail delivery is late, very very late, not there.

And, of course, I am unprepared for the U.S. Postal Service and the banks to take the day off, having made plans that involve one or both of these institutions.

New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, even Veterans Day, are no-brainers, just like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

But not being Italian, I've never made a big deal about Columbus Day and it always sneaks under my scheduling radar.

No comments: