Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Out with the old, in with the new

nr mounted

The Nelson Rigg SLR-Sport Strap Mount Tank Bag arrived about 5:30 p.m. and I had it secured to the bike an hour later.

The single rear strap was a problem because there is no central attachment point for it under the seat that will also allow the seat to fasten securely. The old Marsee had a long rear strap with two snaps that was secured to the bike with two body panel screws. At the moment, the single back strap is secured to the rubber belt that holds the tool kit in place, but that’s only temporary.

I just realized that I could reinstall a length of the old strap with its two attachment points and secure the new one to the middle of the old strap between the two body panel screws. That will be a job for tomorrow.

The bag is boxy and sits a bit higher than the Marsee. It came with a clear map case but I doubt that I’ll ever use it because it covers the solar panel lid and, besides, I have GPS and just about never use a map, especially since I need reading glasses to see a map.

I’ve shifted everything important from my old bag to the new and there’s still a little room left over.

old marsee

The old Marsee bag.

marsee hole

You can see the back pouch fabric is coming unraveled and is not repairable. That’s the consequence of a decade of UV exposure and use.

No comments: