Thursday, April 09, 2009

Rain, yardwork, and free Wifi

april9rainThe Weather Channel radar shows the rain has reached Jonesboro and will be here soon, so it looks like my yard work is done for the day.

I chainsawed several tree trunk segments last night and hauled them away with the lawn tractor/wagon in a couple of loads this morning.

Since we got the wagon last weekend, I've been able to make some serious progress in clearing the debris from our yard, but there is still much to do.

I also lodged email and telephone complaints with Hastings's corporate offices about the month-long free Wifi outage at their Jonesboro store.

At the same time, I fired off an email to the corporate offices of Books-A-Million, which has a bookstore and cafe a block south of Hastings, suggesting they have an opportunity to capture those of us set adrift by Hastings if they offer free Wifi. I also suggested they could make a dent in the customer base of the Starbucks at the local Barnes & Noble, since the Wifi there is free only to AT&T cellular customers and users of Starbucks cards.

That said, I don't really expect anything to change at Hastings or Books-A-Million. I've probably used up my luck for influencing businesses with the change I affected in our Weather Channel Local on the 8s listings.

But it never hurts to try.

No comments: