Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Another reason to be glad I took early retirement

Fellow Indianapolis News veteran and now Indianapolis Star/Gannett wage slave Mike Ellis posted to Facebook today that he "filed for unemployment for the first time in my life earlier this morning."

It's all part of Gannett's program of forcing employees to take unpaid furloughs, despite the fact that Gannett is still showing a profit - $77.4 million in the first quarter of 2009.

"I figured it didn't hurt to try," Mike said. "I know of some others who filed the last time."

I suppose it might cause some permanent resentment if he were to hang a "Furloughed" sign around his neck and sit on the sidewalk in front of The Star Building with a tin cup.

Gannett's most recent "offer" to the Newspaper Guild at The Star is a 12 percent pay cut - 8 percent on July 1 and another 4 percent on Oct. 1.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I filed for unemployment, too, and didn't get squat.

The Oracle said...

Do you know if anyone has done it successfully?

Lauri Shillings said...

We, at the Journal Review shall collectively take a 12.5% pay cut (in some fashion or another) Effective June 1, 2009. I couldn't be more elated! - NOT