Thursday, April 09, 2009

The quest for free Wifi continues

atthemall Well, well, free Wifi at the mall. The Mall at Turtle Creek, to be specific.

I went to the Barnes & Noble Starbucks to ask about the Starbucks card that presumably gets you 2 hours of free Wifi a day at any Starbucks. But they don’t sell the Starbucks card there. Instead, they push a Barnes & Noble card that has no Wifi perks.

However, the friendly barista offered, there is free Wifi in the food court.

I figured that was way too good to be true, but I had to check it out to be sure.

Damned if there aren’t two unsecured mall wireless networks: turtle-creek-1 and turtle-creek-2.

So who needs the Barnes & Noble ambiance at $2 an hour when I can buy my coffee there and walk about 60 yards to the food court to drink it and surf for free?

There is a downside, of course. There always is. I don’t see any electrical outlets, so I’m on battery when I’m in here. Fortunately, the Mini 9 has about 4 hours of battery life.

No comments: