Monday, March 02, 2009

Loading...

GTloading
Things are coming together - mostly - for a departure for Daytona tomorrow morning.
I've checked the oil and concluded once again that I can't see a damned thing in that stupid oil sight glass. The guys at the Colorado Springs BMW dealership opined that I had overfilled the oil last summer when I set out for the West.
Not seeing a level line of oil anywhere in the glass, and the glass being dark and murky even in the brightest light, I can only conclude that it is still full - even overfull. But on the chance that it's too low to show on the sight glass, I'm carrying a quart of BMW 10W50.
I fired up the air compressor and brought the tires up to inflation spec - 36 psi front and 42 psi rear.
The stock color-matched saddlebags are off and the oversize touring bags are on. The Wunderlich seat pack holding my rain gear is strapped onto the rear of the seat.
I have searched high and low for my sleeping bag stuff sack - I have two of them, plus a compression stuff sack - and come up empty. So I jammed the sleeping bag loose into the big waterproof bag along with my bagged tent and my new Therm-A-Rest air mattress in its own stuff sack. It makes me crazy when I think I know where everything is and it turns out I don't. I keep thinking this will be the year when I get all of my motorcycle gear organized for instant access. So far, it hasn't happened.
All that remains to do is pack clothes. I've been using Space Bags for the last few years with decent results. You put your clothes into them, seal the end like a Ziploc bag and then roll them up to squeeze out as much air as possible.
The Weather Channel web site says it'll be chilly - around the mid-20s - when I leave tomorrow morning, but I'll be in sunshine all day and it should be around 60 when I get to I-10 at Hammond, La., sometime after noon. I'm aiming for somewhere around Mobile, Ala. for tomorrow night. The Wednesday forecast is for sunny skies and reasonable temperatures all the way to Daytona.
My Dell Inspiron Mini 9 hasn't arrived yet, so I'll blog the old fashioned way - with my Treo smartphone - again on this trip.

No comments: